Want a snack that’s crunchy, salty, easy to take on the go and still healthy? This roasted chickpeas recipe is quick to make and packed with flavor.
A crunchy, salty snack doesn’t have to mean unhealthy. You can make your own roasted chickpeas at home as a great snack for adults and kids alike. They also make a great appetizer or addition to a tapas plate.
The key to making chickpeas really crispy is to drain, rinse, and dry the chickpeas really well before baking. The less moisture you have going into the oven, the crispier they will be overall.
We’ve got a crispy chickpea snack recipe you will want to make every week. You can change the spice combinations in infinite ways and use them to top salads or soups, or add extra protein to meals.
Spicy roasted chickpea ingredients
The flavor-packed spices on these chickpeas aren’t just for taste. They actually have a range of health benefits: Cinnamon promotes balanced blood sugar regulation, turmeric and ginger have powerful anti-inflammatory properties, cardamom is a great antioxidant, and coriander contains borneol and linalool which improve digestion.
Avocado oil is rich in oleic acid, which some research suggests has beneficial effects in inflammatory-related diseases. It also has a high smoking point, meaning it can be used at high temperatures before it begins producing smoke and oxidizes, releasing harmful compounds.
Crispy shawarma spiced chickpeas recipe
Makes five ¼ cup servings
- 1 can (15 oz) organic chickpeas
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ tsp Sea or Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tbsp Shawarma Spice Blend (recipe below) or other seasoning of choice.
Shawarma Spice Blend (Makes four 1 tbsp servings)
Adapted from Minimalist Baker
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain chickpeas well, rinse with clean, filtered water, and drain again.
- Spread chickpeas out on a clean, absorbent towel and gently roll and dry the chickpeas.
- Transfer dried chickpeas to a large mixing bowl and toss with avocado oil.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Turn and shake pan halfway through the baking process for a more even crisp.
- Remove from oven and toss with seasoning while still warm.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before eating.